Assignment #1

Throughout this work, I intended to use still lifes that already occur in nature as well as ones that are arranged for the sole purpose of the work. In doing this, I was able to create three still life photographs that capture the “across the tracks” theme. Using Hannibal Square as my primary focus, while still touching on Winter Park and Rollins, allowed me to show the viewer the true difference between these two communities. Hannibal Square, the historically blue-collar, working class community on the other side of the train tracks really came through in my work. Through photography, I was able to capture the differences in these two communities that are so close to one another.
In my photographs, it was important for me to make the viewer feel as though they were looking into the same lense as me. I wanted the viewer to see these naturally occurring still lifes as if they were standing right next to them. That being said, I used depth of field in all three of the photographs to show the differences between Hannibal Square and Winter Park. The more narrow, focused looking photographs were taken in Hannibal Square and are meant to symbolize the how tight life was for African American families living in Hannibal Square. In Winter Park, however, families lived on estates and had the money to afford weekend vacations, which is symbolized through the deeper, more widespread photograph of the Rollins community.





Comments